28 March, 2011

Ode to my Other Mothers

Moms are the veritable shit.

Sorry for swearing, but ladies, you're awesome.  You know it.  Work it.  Yeeeeeeah.

Obviously, my Momma--the other L Minton--truly stands unopposed.  She fed and dressed me for years, she's still paying off my student loans, she's supported almost any goal or crazy-ass dream I've come upon.  Ever.  She loves my almost-husband and my cat almost as much as I do.  She's smart, funny, gorgeous and I could swear the sun shines out of her butt.  To put the cherry on that sundae--she birthed me.  Like, grew me somewhere under her kidneys and pushed until a doctor slammed a needle in her spine, threw her intestines onto a nearby table, and presented me, squealing and bloody, to the world.

Hat's off to you, Marm.  They don't come better than you.

But I am writing to you, tonight, Dear Reader--as a woman fortunate enough to have been shaped, and continually supported by an entire network of women I like to call my "Othermothers" (because if you say it just right--it kinda rhymes).  Not only did I solicit their beauteous presences for my wedding--I actually tried to enlist their help.  And these gracious, goddess-like ladies are pulling out all the stops!  I thought I'd take a moment to tell you a little about each of them and update you on wedding progress at the same time.  Cool huh? (Don't answer)

In chronological order via "acquisition" aka The-day-I just-started-calling-them-Marm-and-it-didn't-feel-weird


Cyndi: I can't remember a time in my life when this femme warrior-bard wasn't in my life.  I grew up alongside her two daughters, Ali and Emily and call myself fortunate enough to always feel at home in their fam.  As a woman of higher education--and feeling bound for it myself--for many years she was the academic standard to which I held myself accountable, and her previous interest in Anthropology was completely invaluable to me once the discipline became my career path. (Now if only I could find where it went...)  This glib and gorgeous Othermother will be the Celebrant of the ceremony!  Can you believe it?!  I'm beside myself excited to have someone I know, love, and trust tie Dennis and I into brand new family.

Connie: Stunning, and soft-spoken with a glorious laugh, Connie and my Dad got married when I was nine.  Although I never lived with my Dad and Connie, I always felt like a member of the family--and Connie always let me know how much she cared and loved me.  Connie owns her own events company and has graciously agreed to lend me a whole-slew of rental-quality equipment FOR FREE (more than quartering that part of the budget) and help arrange it to make it perdy.  I simply cannot thank her enough for her generosity in this arena!

June: I'm pretty sure that June is actually the definition of 'sassy.'  June is actually my Maid of Honor (Ariel!)'s madre and one of the most rockin' people on the planet.  With her funky style, eye for detail and awesome skills, I was super-stoked when she offered to help me DIY the wedding flowers!  Hat's off to you, June.  We're gonna get our blooms on.  I'll bring the champagne!

Out,

 -L

No comments:

Post a Comment